Car accidents raise a variety of questions, and many have to do with your car accident insurance. While most states, including Michigan, require drivers to carry accident insurance coverage, you may be ignorant of how it works in the event of an accident. While a car accident lawyer like Marc J. Shefman can provide more specific answers, the following provide information to cover the most often-asked questions after a car accident.
What Should I Do Immediately After a Car Accident?
At the Scene of the Accident:
- Remain calm and remain in your vehicle unless it’s too dangerous to do so
- Turn on your hazard lights
- Call 911 even if your accident seems minor
- Assess your injuries and those of any passengers
- Seek medical attention for any injured drivers or passengers
- Unless necessary for safety reasons, do not move the vehicles until law enforcement arrives
- Record all information possible from other drivers
- Photograph the scene from every angle possible, including all vehicles involved
- Do not admit fault to anyone at the accident scene
As Soon as Possible After the Accident:
- Seek medical attention, even if you think your injuries are minor
- Notify your own insurance company of the accident
- Obtain a copy of the accident report prepared by local law enforcement
- Keep a detailed list of any accident-related expenditures
- Retain the services of a local car accident lawyer
What Will My Michigan No-Fault Car Insurance Cover in an Accident?
No-fault car accident insurance is required by law in Michigan. Every owner of a car must buy certain basic coverages in order to obtain license plates. It is against the law to drive or let your car be driven without no-fault insurance.
If you have an auto accident, no-fault insurance pays for your medical expenses, wage loss benefits, replacement services, and the damage you do to other people’s property. It does not matter who caused the accident. Your basic no-fault insurance does NOT pay for repairs to your car. You must have additional collision or comprehensive insurance coverage to cover the repairs to your own vehicle.
Can I File a Lawsuit or be Sued After a Car Accident?
The no-fault law provides residual liability coverage to protect insured persons from being sued as a result of an auto accident except in certain special situations.
Generally, you can only be sued:
- If you cause an accident in Michigan in which someone is killed, seriously injured, or permanently disfigured
- If you are involved in an accident in Michigan with a non-resident who is an occupant of a motor vehicle not registered in Michigan
- If you are involved in an accident in another state
- If you are 50% or more at fault in an accident that causes damage to another vehicle that is not covered by car insurance, you may be sued for up to $1,000.
Reciprocally, you may only file a suit against another party involved in your car accident if they caused you bodily injury, permanent disfigurement, or death.
Why Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer?
People often ask this question, especially after a small accident. In such situations, you may be able to settle your insurance claim without the need for legal assistance. However, if you or someone else in your car were injured in the accident, your claim and its details become significantly more complicated.
If you or a loved one are the injured victim, you have the legal right to seek compensation from the party at fault to cover the costs of medical treatment, pain and suffering, and other needs. The insurance companies employ skilled experts and attorneys who will try to save the company as much money as possible.
A car accident lawyer can fight for your rights to adequate compensation. In fact, statistics prove that accident victims who are represented by a car accident lawyer generally win three times as much in a settlement than those who endure the journey alone.
The right legal representation can ensure that you receive the compensation you are owed. If you’re not sure if you need a lawyer, contact Marc J. Shefman for a free, no-obligation consultation.
How Can a Car Accident Lawyer Help Me?
You should always hire a car accident lawyer if there’s severe property damage and you don’t feel the insurance company is fairly compensating you. And of course, you should always hire a car accident lawyer if you’ve been injured in an accident.
Car accidents are stressful enough before adding the factors of multiple insurance companies and teams of skilled lawyers. Before you enter uncharted legal waters, hire an experienced Michigan car accident lawyer to protect your rights and interests.
The skilled assistance of a car accident lawyer helps you:
- Handle legal procedures and terms
- Process paperwork to meet any statute of limitations
- Work with a team of investigators who can handle all technical aspects of your case
- See things more objectively
- Handle mediation and arbitration
- Communicate with the insurance company’s attorneys
- Deal with your creditors during the claim process
Michigan Car Accident Lawyers in Royal Oak
Michigan car accident laws can be complicated, especially when injuries are involved. Marc J. Shefman is an experienced Michigan car accident lawyer who faithfully serves Metro Detroit. Call our Royal Oak office at (248) 298-3003 or contact us online to arrange your free consultation with our car accident lawyers and learn more about filing a claim.